Suction cups stick best when the surface which they are stuck to and the suction cup themselves are clean and free from dirt. We strongly suggest washing the suction cup with warm soapy water and thoroughly drying with a lint-free cloth before use. To achieve the best suction we recommend:
- Applying to a completely smooth and flat surface (i.e. wood, tile, glass - NOTE: some hardwood floors have cracks that may prevent an air tight seal from forming).
- Applying firm pressure to the top of the suction cup to ensure an airtight seal is achieved (i.e. stepping on top).
- Cleaning both the suction cup and the surface you are applying it to with warm soapy water (dirty surfaces will not adhere as strongly).
- To enhance suction and help ensure a tight seal, a small amount of vaseline or cooking oil may be rubbed on the rim of the cup, or dampen your fingertip with water and lightly moisten the inner rim of the suction cup. While moistening can help create a tighter seal, the key is to not get too much moisture (just barely enough to coat the surface is ideal).
- Periodically press down on the top of the suction cup to remove any excess air and strengthen your seal.
- Always use the release tabs to break the suction after use. This will help prevent damaging the outer rim of the cup that could lead to weaker suction during future uses.
If you are able to experiment with other surfaces please feel free to share with us!